Frequently asked questions

My account

Log in to your Dashboard and below your address listings, click on the Edit My Details link. Make any changes to the Details page and then click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.

University Financial Aid

The University's Financial Aid team provides a range of information and financial assistance including advice on saving and managing your money, grants and bursaries, scholarships, Centrelink allowances and payments and other needs-based financial assistance. For more information on financial assistance, you can visit the University's Financial Aid website.


Students receiving a Commonwealth Support benefit and living away from home and paying rent may be eligible for Rent Assistance - contact Centrelink for more information.

There is a link on the sign in page if you have forgotten your password. Follow the instructions on the password assistance page. You will also be sent an email which will also provide details on resetting your password.

Please submit an enquiry via email. We will review your submission and aim to resolve any questions as soon as we can. 

Searching for a property

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is responsible for the administration of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

You can obtain copies of Renters guide or Rooming house residents guide and other relevant information and forms from the Consumer Affairs Victoria website -  or phone 1300 55 81 81 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

Tenants Victoria also provides free advice for anyone renting a home in Victoria. Tenants Victoria has an excellent range of tenancy issue sheets and step by step guides in a broad range of languages. For more information, visit the Tenants Victoria website or get phone advice from 10.00am to 2.00pm Monday to Friday on (03) 9416 2577 (Closed on weekends and public holidays). 

There is a range of student accommodation available to you on campus. Choices range from dedicated University owned and operated facilities (collectively known as University Accommodation), such as Little Hall and Lisa Bellear House, to traditional Residential Colleges. 

Living on campus takes the stress out of house hunting as all University of Melbourne students are guaranteed an accommodation offer in University Accommodation - this means no need to prove your rental history or provide rental references and peace of mind that your rental agreement is with a trusted rental provider. Your accommodation fee is also inclusive of all utilities (including internet) and dedicated staff are on hand to organise weekly activities and provide you with the support you need to succeed at University. 

All our Accommodation options can be found on our University Accommodation website.

A rooming house is a property where four or more people can occupy the rented rooms, and each has their own residential agreement. A rooming house is different to a share house, rooming house or a sub-let and the standard residential rental agreements like those used for houses and flats cannot be used in a rooming house unless someone is renting a self-contained apartment. You can find information on rooming houses on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website

For listers: all rooming houses must be registered with the local council, and proof of this registration must be provided to the University before the Listing can be approved. 

If you are looking to rent a room or property, never transfer money without inspecting a property in person, or without meeting the rental provider and any co-renters. 

Please visit Consumer Affairs Victoria for for up to date information on Rental Scams and how you can protect yourself as a renter.

Rental Non-compliance Register is available online. You can search for your provider’s name and if they have a previous conviction, it will appear on their profile.

Listing a property

It is your responsibility to comply with the following listing rules before a listing is approved by the University:

  • All information must be accurate, up to date and not duplicated 
  • Photographs must be recent photographs of the actual property
  • No more than four weeks rent for bond should be charged and at no time should there be a 'bond' charged for utilities
  • The listing must not contain any content that is harmful, offensive, inappropriate or discriminatory
  • The listing must not contain a language other than English 
  • The listing must not promote services other than accommodation
  • The listing must not offer work, or any other form of duty or inducement in lieu of rent.

Please see the Terms and Conditions for more information. 

The University may, in its sole and absolute discretion, reject any listing or content that does not comply with the listing rules, is the subject of a complaint, duplicated, contain a language other than English or breach the Terms and Conditions

Additionally, as the University of Melbourne has zero tolerance for bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment, any Listings that are deemed to be harmful, inappropriate, discriminatory or offensive will be rejected.

Listings are visible online for a maximum of four weeks and will automatically be removed unless the advertisement has been extended by the advertiser.

Entering into a rental agreement

Your rental provider should inform you of the following:

  • if the property is also for sale, 
  • if it has an embedded network, 
  • if the property is a location of a previous homicide, 
  • if there are any additional costs you will have to pay aside from rent such as, and not limited to, usage of the gym, laundry, communal facilities etc.

For the full list, please click here.

You can apply to VCAT for an order to require the rental provider to enter into a written residential rental agreement. Doing so will provide security for both parties for the whole duration of the residential agreement.

Yes. The rental agreement will be valid as long as the renter has signed it even if the rental provider has not.

The rental provider must not ask you to pay a bond that is more than one month’s rent if your rent is $900 per week or less.

If you need help to pay the bond, you may be able to borrow the money from the Department of Housing with a RentAssist bond loan

If you are approved for a bond loan, a voucher will be emailed directly to the rental provider or their agent. This voucher acts as a lodgement form and will be used by the rental provider, or agent, to lodge the bond with the RTBA. The bond lodgement form will need to state the amounts paid and who has paid the bond, which will be the Director of Housing, and you if you are paying part of it.

If your rent is payable weekly, the most you can be asked to pay in advance is two weeks rent.

If the weekly rent is $900 or less, and the rent is payable monthly, the most you can be asked to pay in advance is one month’s rent.

Problems during a tenancy

You can serve a notice of breach of duty to your renter/rental provider. If the other party does not fix the breach or pay costs, you can then apply to VCAT. VCAT can make a compliance order and a compensation order.

If the breach happens three times, and a valid breach of duty notice was issued after the first two times, you can give intention of notice to vacate (if you're the renter) or notice to vacate (if you're the rental provider).

Depending on the breach, you must fix the breach within a specific timeframe. You may also have to pay compensation to your renter/rental provider. 

However, if you don't think you have done anything wrong, you should try to resolve matters with your renter/rental provider. If this doesn't work, you can apply to VCAT.

  • Advertising a property without a fixed rent price [section 30F]
  • Engaging in rental bidding [section 30F]
  • Making false or misleading statements about the rent [section 30G]
  • Charging you to inspect a property [section 51]
  • Refusing to refund a holding deposit [section 50]
  • Asking you things the law says you cannot be asked about, such as your bond history, or asking for credit card or bank statements that contain your daily transactions [section 30C]
  • Not telling you things about the property before you rent it, such as if they intend to sell it [section 30D]
  • Refusing to rent to you because you have children [section 30]
  • Not giving you a copy of the rental agreement before and after you sign [section 29]
  • Charging you a fee for making, continuing or renewing an agreement [section 51]
  • Asking you to pay too much rent in advance [sections 40 and 41]
  • Not giving you rent receipts [section 43]
  • Requiring you to pay rent in a way that results in you being charged extra fees [section 42]
  • Charging you to pay rent by direct debit or with a rent payment card [section 51]
  • Taking, or disposing of, any of your belongings because you owe unpaid rent [section 49]
  • Coming into your home without giving you notice that meets the requirements of the law, such as being in writing, or having a reason for entering that is allowed under the law [section 91A]
  • Trying to illegally evict you, for example by not first giving you a notice to vacate or applying to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a possession order to take back the property [section 91P]
  • Giving you a notice to leave without reasonable grounds [section 368A] and not telling VCAT about the notice [section 373]
  • Refusing to return personal documents left behind at the property [section 382]

Terminating a lease

Your rental agreement should contain the terms and conditions relating to an early termination of your rental agreement. There are usually minimum notice periods and costs to pay which might include remaining rent, advertising fees or fees to re-let the property. 

However, there are circumstances were you may be able to terminate your rental agreement early without having to pay costs. Please see here for more information.

You should always try to negotiate with your rental provider. However, if you can’t agree, either party can apply to VCAT for a determination. 

Yes, a rental provider can ask you to move out of their property early through negotiation with you or by serving you a Notice to Vacate. A rental provider can only give a Notice to Vacate for certain reasons, and there are minimum notice periods depending on the reason. 

Please see here for a full list of these reasons and their corresponding notice periods.

Yes, you must give notice to end the rental agreement, even if it has a fixed end date. Otherwise, the agreement will automatically continue on a month-by-month basis.