Sub-letting while on exchange or on holidays

Student Housing are aware that some students like to lessen the financial burden whilst away on exchange or an extended holiday by renting out their room/property here in Melbourne, however, there are things that you need to be aware of:-

  • It is a breach of Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA) to sublet without your landlord’s written consent.

  • The arrangement may mean that you become a landlord under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA)

  • Letting out rental properties entails significant legal responsibilities for the lessor (you) and it is possible that you may not be able to legally regain possession of the rented premises/room upon your return.

  • If you take a bond it may have to be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). There are significant penalties for failing to lodge a bond when required. How to lodge a bond

Avoid the pitfalls by finding out where you stand according to the Residential Tenancies Act (1997) and/or consumer legislation:- 

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)
Telephone:  1300 55 81 81

IMPORTANT:  If you are receiving rent from a tenant it may be considered income for Centrelink and  Tax purposes.

Current students at The University of Melbourne can also book an appointment with one of our advisers for some tenancy advise. Book an appointment online