Information for Advertisers

By providing this free housing advertisement service, Student Housing aims to assist new and current University of Melbourne students in their search for available and suitable housing.

Advertisers must meet the Terms and Conditions for Advertisers set by the University of Melbourne in order for their housing vacancy to be advertised on this website. The University of Melbourne reserves the right to refuse or withdraw an advertisement at any time due to a failure to meet these Terms and Conditions.

There are many styles of housing that may be advertised via this website: vacant properties in student housing providers and the private rental market, as well as rooms in share houses, hostels (rooming houses), and boarding arrangements.


Before you can start advertising your vacancies, you need to register as an Advertiser on this website.  This is a quick and simple process, but if you experience any difficulty, please contact us.

How long will your advertisement be visible online?

Advertisements are visible online for a maximum of two weeks, and are monitored by Student Housing staff. If you are still looking for a tenant/resident/housemate after your advertisement expires, there is no need to go through the full process again - you may simply 'Re-list' the advertisement.

Large student housing providers

For student housing providers that have a number of vacancies of a similar style, we ask that you create a single template advertisement for each category of floorplan, or room layout.  For example, one template each for 'one-bedroom', 'one-bedroom twin', 'two-bedroom', etc.  The comments section of each advertisement may then be used to refer to the availability of multiple apartments/rooms in that style.

If there is a price range for any of these categories, you may list the lowest price in the advertisement but please ensure that you specify the price range in the comments of the advertisement.

How much should I charge?

Student Housing is not able to advise Advertisers about how much they should charge for their housing vacancy. We advise that you research the current market, and assess your property against comparable properties in the same suburb, which have similar facilities and features.

Price drives choice for most people, so if you are not receiving many queries, you might need to re-assess your rent amount.

If you still feel uncertain about how much to charge, you might like to seek the advice of a professional real estate agent.

Tenancy arrangements & the law

We believe that better housing arrangements are reached when both landlords and tenants are educated about and act on their legal rights and responsibilities.  Housing agreements are generally covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) (RTA), which outlines processes that should be followed by both landlord and tenant(s).

We encourage Advertisers to obtain information about their rights and responsibilities from Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) by calling 1300 55 81 81 or visiting their website.  CAV can provide the documents that are required to appropriately commence rental agreements, eg.

  • Residential Tenancy Agreement
  • Bond Lodgement form
  • Condition Report
  • Renting a home: a guide for tenants red booklet (it is a legal requirement for landlords to provide this to tenants)

CAV also run free information sessions for owner/landlords currently renting or planning to rent private properties.  The sessions provide:

  • Tips on communicating with tenants
  • Renting the right way
  • How to deal with issues as they happen
  • Opportunities to ask questions
  • What CAV can do to help

More information is available from CAV.